Tuesday, October 18, 2011

Politics is for the Politicians

Day 17 of NaBloWriMo (National Blog Writing Month)...

Prompt: Do you pay attention to and/or participate in political discussion? Why or why not?

The prompt for today was very timely since my son had just read me a paper last night that he wrote for his college history course. He had some interesting insights and opinions that, while I never discussed with him previously, I happen to share.

For instance, a particular anarchist and labor union activist that he referenced was George Engel. According to George Engel, who came to America from Germany in 1872 with hopes of prosperity and a fruitful life, "...casting your vote in a ballot box is simply a temporary high intended to make you think that you are helping to shape the future of society. The harsh truth is that our votes will never bring about a society guaranteeing work, food, and a happy life."

What Engel discovered in 1872, in my opinion, is still a harsh truth today. I do not participate in any sort of political discussion, due mostly to not feeling like I have enough knowledge on the subject. The unfortunate reality is that most of time, I just don't care. I know that I should, and you can always find me at the polls on an election day 'voting early and often' because it is my right...but do I think how I vote will do any good? NO!

All the mudslinging and "campaigning" that start way too many months in advance of an election, is exasperating! It doesn't matter what party is declared on my voter registration, in the end, all the candidates from all the parties are just going to make promises they can't keep. I honestly do not know what the answer is, but I do know that our government as it stands right now--even though it was "elected" by the people--is not for the people.

Copyright 2008-2011 Casual Day Designs. All Rights Reserved. Follow me on TwitterRead My Blog Connect With Me on FacebookShop in My ArtFire Store

No comments: