Monday, October 31, 2011

Happy Hallowed Weenies

Day 31 of NaBloWriMo (National Blog Writing Month)...

As darkness fell on this sleepy little town, the throngs of trick-or-treaters thinned to just a few ghosts and goblins roaming the streets. The rustling of the leaves and the occasional bark of a neighboring dog signaled a few other candy gatherers wandering close by looking for that last porch light on per chance to secure one more sugary snack. The dimly lit jack-o-lantern flickers and eventually the flame is extinguished. A pile of candy wrappers lay at my feet, and the muted television still displays images that will haunt my dreams. Another Halloween has come and gone, and the porch light can follow suit to the darkened candle inside the pumpkin.

Perhaps it is just my old age and crotchety demeanor, but it seems that beggar's night has changed over the years--not for the better. Most of the kids don't even utter a simple "Trick-or-Treat" let alone a "Thank You." It is just plain inappropriate that some of the kids that beg for treats are driving age, and don't even get me started on the parents that hide behind the facade of their infant's stroller with their hand out...I was born on a day, but it wasn't yesterday...I know who that candy is really for (certainly not the baby with the bottle of formula).

As this month of daily blog writing comes to a close, I reflect on my successes as well as my failures of keeping up (or not) with this challenge. November begins National Novel Writing Month - the goal is to write a 50,000 word novel within the month of November. Am I up for that challenge? There's no time like tomorrow to find out :)

Copyright 2008-2011 Casual Day Designs. All Rights Reserved.
Follow me on Twitter
Read My Blog
Connect With Me on Facebook

No comments: