Monday, October 3, 2011

Penny For Your Thoughts

Day 3 of NaBloWritMo (National Blog Writing Month)...

Are inanimate objects lucky? I suppose some athletes may think so. Personally, I do not have any one object I consider lucky, but contemplating that idea led me to several random thoughts about pennies. See if anything here makes cents...

How many have heard the phrase, "Find a penny, pick it up--all the day you'll have good luck."? Whether this saying is just a cute little rhyme or a full-blown superstition, I cannot resist picking up that shiny copper coin laying in my path. I think I may have even put a penny in my shoe when I got married--for luck. (It must have been a bad penny, though, as that marriage ended in divorce, ha!)

Recently, I heard that if the penny is tails up on the ground, it is bad luck to pick it up--(maybe that is where the penny came from that was in the shoe at my wedding.)

The Blue Belle Inn Bed & Breakfast in St. Ansgar, Iowa is an elegant Victorian inn. It has charming rooms named after children's books. One of my favorite rooms is the Heaven to Betsy. There are pennies hidden all over the room. It became an obsession with me to locate and re-hide all the pennies in that room the first time we stayed there--much to my husband's chagrin. :) But I couldn't help myself.



This recollection about the Heaven to Betsy room at the Blue Belle, of course, reminds me of the song, "Pennies from Heaven." Which then reminds me of an email poem that circulated a few years back...

I found a penny today
Just laying on the ground.
But it's not just a penny
This little coin I've found.

Found pennies come from heaven
that's what my Grandpa told me.
He said Angels tossed them down
Oh, how I loved that story!

He said when an Angel misses you
They toss a penny down,
sometimes just to cheer you up
To make a smile out of your frown.

So don't pass by that penny
When you're feeling blue.
It may be a penny from heaven
That an Angel's tossed to you.
Author Unknown

I received this poem not long after my grandma passed away. And if ever there was a penny-pincher, my grandma was!! So, heads up or heads down, if there is a penny on the ground, I absolutely pick it up because I figure it has to be from Grandma, and that's what makes it lucky!!


Copyright 2008-2011 Casual Day Designs. All Rights Reserved.
Follow me on Twitter
Read My Blog
Connect With Me on Facebook
Shop in My ArtFire Store

No comments: