Friday, October 14, 2011

Confessions of a Drama Queen Mama...

Day 14 of NaBloWriMo (National Blog Writing Month)...

It is my seventh grader's debut performance on the children's theater stage tonight. I'm ecstatic about this opportunity for her as she aspires to one day be an entertainer. She started drama classes six years ago in preparation for this momentous occasion. Two summers ago, she was in the Donna Reed Summer Workshop's performance of Aladdin. She was invited to attend Peter Sklar's Beginnings Workshop for young performers in New York City a couple years ago; however, we decided she was a little young for that kind of experience.


For a month, I've been living out of my car while she attends rehearsals--you see, we live 30 miles from the children's theater and gas prices being what they are, I cannot afford to drive back and forth twice each night. The reason for the lack of funds is the constant barrage of things needed for her to be in the play...
  • Photo for the wall of Cast Members...............$5
  • Shoes (purchased from Goodwill).................$2
  • Panty Hose (enough for 10 performances)......$12.50
  • Theatrical Makeup Kit....................................$37.50
  • Undergarments for the costume...............$53
  • Hair accessories...........................................$8
  • Cast member t-shirt .......................................$18.50
This is all, of course, above and beyond the year's worth of tuition for the drama classes ($720) as well as the fundraising effort I donated $64 to so she wouldn't have to sell the "pizza" coupons. We also made a sizable contribution to the theater's recent renovation project, and I have donated several administrative hours helping with various mailings. Don't even get me started on how many meals out we've had to buy or will have to buy when this month and a half is said and done.

I keep telling myself this is no different than the parent's life of an athlete or a dancer, but as I was attempting to curl my daughter's hair--by the way, I have about as much knowledge on how to curl hair as I do to fly an airplane--I decided I would do just about anything to make my kids happy and see them succeed in whatever they want to do.

Part 2 of Drama Queen Mama's confession will discuss how to teach someone how to put on panty hose!


Copyright 2008-2011 Casual Day Designs. All Rights Reserved.
Follow me on Twitter
Read My Blog
Connect With Me on Facebook
Shop in My ArtFire Store

No comments: